FordExcursions.com Forums

Ford Excursion Forums > Ford Excursion V8, V10, and Powerstroke > Powerstroke Excursions
Brand new X and some questions
Thread Statistics:     Users to Post: 5   |   Total Posts: 9   |   Total Views: 912
You must be logged in to post in or subscribe to this thread.Pages: 1
Michael Cullen
• Torrance, CA, USA
• Registered on 7/28/2003
• 9 posts
1 Vehicle
Posted:7/28/2003 11:01
Last night I traded my old E-150 van in for a 2003 6.0 4x2 Limited! My jaw is still dropped at the amazing ride, power and comfort. This is the first time I've ever owned a car with 9 miles and what a car to do that with!!!!

Anyway, there are a few (yeah right...few...the wife chuckles when she hears that one) things I would like to change. The first is the lack of a casette/XM radio feature. Any recommendations? The next one is getting a second DVD screen put in above the 2nd row of seats. The last question (for the moment) is would it be worth it to put a Banks aftermarket Torque converter on?

Thanks
Michael
--------------------
Very proud X owner!!!
Logix
• San Francisco Bay Area, CA, USA
• Registered on 6/11/2003
• 19 posts
1 Vehicle
Posted:7/28/2003 13:56
Quote:
The last question (for the moment) is would it be worth it to put a Banks aftermarket Torque converter on?

First, congrats, on the new car.

Second, the question that comes to my mind is if the Torque converter will void or hinder the warranty in case something goes wrong. I think I was told by the dealer that certain things would void or make using the warranty really hard.

Just a thought and my 2 cents.

2001 Excursion Limited 7.3 ltr Turbo PSD, 4X4

1986 F-250 Extended-Cab 6.9 ltr Diesel, 2X4
JohnBoy
• DFW, TX, USA
• Registered on 9/3/2002
• 972 posts
2 Vehicles
Posted:8/7/2003 07:54
Congrats !!
Aren't they NICE !!!
Not sure if your 4x2 has a rear sway bar (mu '02 4x2 Ex didn't) but I improved the feel a ton by installing a Hellwig rear sway bar - about $138 3rd day from JCW and $40 to install

Both our Ex's are the BEST travelling vehicle I've ever owned... and I've had 3 motorhomes!
I chose not to get the built in DVD system but rather get a portable DVD or laptop with DVD built in...
gives me multiple uses and better screen size without blacking my rear view...

We can then take it inside when the movies not over and the trip is!!!
(Otherwise the grandaughter will DEMAND to leave the truck running while she finishes her movie !)

And two year old cuties should always get their way - right ?!?

2005 6.0L 4x4 Eddie Bauer Ex
2003 6.0L 4x4 Limited Ex - traded in (BooHoo)
"The Republicans should back off and let men marry men, women marry women, and legalize abortion. In three generations there would be no Democrats."
edited 8/7/2003 08:01
Texas4x4
• Tyler, TX, USA
• Registered on 7/25/2003
• 289 posts
1 Vehicle
Posted:8/7/2003 08:35
Congrats on the new X Mike!

As for the XM setup, I'm on my second receiver. The first I had was the Sony portable model which slipped into a cradle and used the tape adapter and cig. lighter. The problem with it, however, is it was very difficult to read because of the silly choice of screen colors Sony used. I traded that in for the Delphi SKYFi which is what I would recommend for you if you have not already purchased a setup. A mounting bracket can be bought which requires no visible drilling to the dash. My install can be seen [url]HERE

All that to say - Delphi has a car kit which uses a FM modulator and transmits to 87.9. It works quite well. The modulator runs about $50 depending where you get it. I was in the same boat you were in that I was disappointed there was no tape player.

As for the DVD/LCD setup, I bought through the dealership which seemed to have competitive prices and let them farm out the install. Charles Radloff(?) on this list seems to be able to get that stuff at a decent price.

As for the TC, I'll let others give you advice there.

=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
Kevin Curry
Staff Writer: www.ROCKCRAWLER.com
kevin@texas4x4.com
http://www.texas4x4.com
Michael Cullen
• Torrance, CA, USA
• 9 posts
1 Vehicle
Posted:8/11/2003 11:12
Quote:
Congrats on the new X Mike!

As for the XM setup, I'm on my second receiver. The first I had was the Sony portable model which slipped into a cradle and used the tape adapter and cig. lighter. The problem with it, however, is it was very difficult to read because of the silly choice of screen colors Sony used. I traded that in for the Delphi SKYFi which is what I would recommend for you if you have not already purchased a setup. A mounting bracket can be bought which requires no visible drilling to the dash. My install can be seen [url]HERE

All that to say - Delphi has a car kit which uses a FM modulator and transmits to 87.9. It works quite well. The modulator runs about $50 depending where you get it. I was in the same boat you were in that I was disappointed there was no tape player.

As for the DVD/LCD setup, I bought through the dealership which seemed to have competitive prices and let them farm out the install. Charles Radloff(?) on this list seems to be able to get that stuff at a decent price.

As for the TC, I'll let others give you advice there.

Thank you very much for the reply. How did you 'trade in' your sony? I'd love to exchange mine! With the FM modulator, does that work for any input or is it hardwired to the XM unit? I have an MP3 player I like to use and I lost the ability with the 6 CD system that lacks the cassette unit.

Thanks
Michael
Michael Cullen
• Torrance, CA, USA
• 9 posts
1 Vehicle
Posted:8/11/2003 11:38
[quote]Congrats !!
Aren't they NICE !!!
Not sure if your 4x2 has a rear sway bar (mu '02 4x2 Ex didn't) but I improved the feel a ton by installing a Hellwig rear sway bar - about $138 3rd day from JCW and $40 to install

Thank you! Mine 4x2 didn't come with the bar. Do you have a part number for jwc? I've tried some searches for Hellwig and sway bar and I come up with zip.

Michael
Texas4x4
• Tyler, TX, USA
• Registered on 7/25/2003
• 289 posts
1 Vehicle
Posted:8/11/2003 12:10
Quote:
Thank you very much for the reply. How did you 'trade in' your sony? I'd love to exchange mine! With the FM modulator, does that work for any input or is it hardwired to the XM unit? I have an MP3 player I like to use and I lost the ability with the 6 CD system that lacks the cassette unit.

Thanks
Michael

I bought the Sony from Circuit City and also purchased the ESP (which I do, religiously, for electronics). I took it back and complained about the dificult-to-read display and they gave me full purchase credit for it. I, in turn, used the credit for the SKYFi and even have $50 to spare!

As or the FM Modulator, as far as I can tell, it connects to the SKYFi system using a 1/8th jack so, I suppose you could connect it to other equipment but I haven't tried.

Kevin Curry
Staff Writer: www.ROCKCRAWLER.com
kevin@texas4x4.com
http://www.texas4x4.com
edited 8/11/2003 12:14
JohnBoy
• DFW, TX, USA
• Registered on 9/3/2002
• 972 posts
2 Vehicles
Posted:8/14/2003 17:11
Quote:
[quote]Congrats !!
Aren't they NICE !!!

Thank you! Mine 4x2 didn't come with the bar. Do you have a part number for jwc? I've tried some searches for Hellwig and sway bar and I come up with zip.

Michael

Don't recall the part number...
just called their 1-800 number since they didn't have it in the catalog...
I asked them if there was any discounts and they gave me a geat discount....
Since I had an Ex I had to ask them to check with Hellwig to ensure it would work for me...
and BOY did it !
WELL worth it...

2005 6.0L 4x4 Eddie Bauer Ex
2003 6.0L 4x4 Limited Ex - traded in (BooHoo)
"The Republicans should back off and let men marry men, women marry women, and legalize abortion. In three generations there would be no Democrats."
FamilyRideII
• Flower Mound, TX, USA
• Registered on 8/7/2003
• 51 posts
1 Vehicle
Posted:8/14/2003 18:14
Also try TruckPerformance.com for Hellwig bars. I think they've got them for about $140 each, either front or rear for the Excursion

2004 Eddie Bauer Excursion
4x4 6.0 PSD, all the goodies, Superchips 1704, Magnaflow, Isspro Gauges, 285 REVO's
edited 8/14/2003 18:16
Ford Excursion Forums > Ford Excursion V8, V10, and Powerstroke > Powerstroke Excursions
Brand new X and some questions
Thread Statistics:     Users to Post: 5   |   Total Posts: 9   |   Total Views: 912
You must be logged in to post in or subscribe to this thread.Pages: 1

About SuperMotors | Contact Us | FAQ/Help | Legal
Copyright © 1998-2024 Web Design Solutions, Inc.
All rights reserved. Duplication & reproduction is strictly prohibited.
SuperMotors.net v5.0.2 ChangeLog