FordExcursions.com Forums

Ford Excursion Forums > Ford Excursion V8, V10, and Powerstroke > Powerstroke Excursions
Auxillary Gauges
Thread Statistics:     Users to Post: 6   |   Total Posts: 13   |   Total Views: 2072
You must be logged in to post in or subscribe to this thread.Pages: 1 2
Michael Gail
• Sierra Madre, CA, USA
• Registered on 5/1/2003
• 138 posts
1 Vehicle
Posted:5/15/2003 20:52
Where is a good place to get auxillary gauges? I'm interested in those that mount on the "A" pillar. Besides the exhaust-gas-temp gauge, what else is needed?

Mike
'02 EX, Limited, 4X4 , PSD, Nitto, Terra Grapplers 295/16, K&N Air Filter, Billet Grill, Hidden Hitch. Magnaflow SS Exhaust system with 3.5" downpipe, 4" main and 5" tip. Banks Six-Gun Power Module, Banks TransCommand.
E. Long  Club OwnerSuperMotors Owner
Subscriber
Subscriber since 1/1/2001
• Atlanta, GA, USA
• Registered on 1/23/2001
• 2,229 posts
1 Vehicle
Posted:5/16/2003 06:32
Quote:
Where is a good place to get auxillary gauges? I'm interested in those that mount on the "A" pillar. Besides the exhaust-gas-temp gauge, what else is needed?

Michael,

This site sells several diesel products: http://www.dieselsitetoo.com/

Hope this helps.

-Eric

'67 Galaxie 500 - 390 FE, .030" over, FE to AOD adapter, disc brake conversion. The Daily Driver.
'00 Excursion - 7.3L PSD, LANDYOT Gen-II Radius Rods, Factory Tech Valve Body, 200K+ miles and going
greateastern
• Southern, MD, USA
• Registered on 9/21/2002
• 93 posts
1 Vehicle
Posted:5/16/2003 22:09
Michael, get a trans temp guage at a minimum.

Great time to raise this question: Which guages are better, AutoMeter or ISSPro?

I have heard both are good. My personal experience with AutoMeter is very good. It's about time for me to get my guages.

Thanks!

Gary
-----------------------------------------
'02 X LTD, 4X4, PSD, 3.73LS. True Blue & Gold. 15K miles. Pretty much stock. (Sigh!) Upgraded load range Steeltex tires. Roof rack bars removed. Ford spare tire organizer. Way overdue on getting guages... Sunnybrook 30FKS travel trailer, 31ft, 8000lb.
Michael Gail
• Sierra Madre, CA, USA
• Registered on 5/1/2003
• 138 posts
1 Vehicle
Posted:5/17/2003 08:08
Gary,
You recommend a trans temp gauge...is there something wrong with the stock trans temp gauge? My X came with both engine coolant temp and trans temp gauges.

Mike
'02 EX, Limited, 4X4 , PSD, Nitto, Terra Grapplers 295/16, K&N Air Filter, Billet Grill, Hidden Hitch. Magnaflow SS Exhaust system with 3.5" downpipe, 4" main and 5" tip. Banks Six-Gun Power Module, Banks TransCommand.
greateastern
• Southern, MD, USA
• 93 posts
1 Vehicle
Posted:5/18/2003 18:04
Mike, the stock trans guage is essentially worthless. It is microprocessor driven and gets up into the normal range very quickly. It stays there while the tranny temps climb and then - when it is almost or actually too late to prevent damage, the needle will rise to the 'too hot' position. Basially, it is a 'you're toast' indicator.

A 'real' tranny guage will let you see the tranny temps as they are actually occuring. The only way to go, especially if you tow or plan to do so in the future. I've burned up three trannies in two different 1/2 Suburbans towing a camper at the weight limit of the truck. Don't want to do that again. Those who know trannies (gearman, among others on this board) say that the torque converter in the 4R100 is the weak link, so you want to take good care of it.

Hope this helps.

Gary
'02 X LTD, 4X4, PSD, 3.73LS. True Blue & Gold. 15K miles. Pretty much stock. (Sigh!) Upgraded load range Steeltex tires. Roof rack bars removed. Ford spare tire organizer. Way overdue on getting guages... Sunnybrook 30FKS travel trailer, 31ft, 8000lb.
Dan Nguyen
• Yuba City, CA, USA
• Registered on 11/13/2001
• 22 posts
2 Vehicles
Posted:5/18/2003 20:40
If you are getting gauges, splurge and get trans temp and pyrometer. The stock gauges never moves while in Ford "normal operating temp" range. If you are interested, PM me and I can provide a link to an article of someone that has ran a test on the factory gauge.
Pyrometer will allow you to see how hard you are pushing your motor and how long to wait to keep your turbo from getting bearing glaze.
Oh yeah, I prefer autometer, I have both the phantoms in my dually and the sport in my excursion
Dan
edited 5/18/2003 20:41
Michael Gail
• Sierra Madre, CA, USA
• Registered on 5/1/2003
• 138 posts
1 Vehicle
Posted:5/28/2003 20:07
Quote:
If you are interested, PM me and I can provide a link to an article of someone that has ran a test on the factory gauge.

Dan, I sent an e-mail to you a week ago. I don't know if it got lost is cyberspace or what so I reply this way. I'm interested.

Thanks,

Mike
Dan Nguyen
• Yuba City, CA, USA
• Registered on 11/13/2001
• 22 posts
2 Vehicles
Posted:6/20/2003 23:27
Sorry it took so long to respond. Don't get to this forum as often. Can't spend all my time on the computer, otherwise no work gets done and not playing...
http://www.intellidog.com/dieselmann/b_smoke13.htm
Boar-Ral
• Edmonton, XX, Canada
• Registered on 8/20/2003
• 56 posts
Posted:9/12/2003 16:56
Quote:
Besides the exhaust-gas-temp gauge, what else is needed?

A boost gauge is fun to watch. I currently have a 3-pod pillar on order as well as a pyrometer, transmission temperature gauge, and a boost gauge. I can't wait to see it installed!
greateastern
• Southern, MD, USA
• 93 posts
1 Vehicle
Posted:9/18/2003 12:35
I'm still curious as to whether one particular brand of guages is better than another. Lots of folks have ISSPRO and I've had good experience with AutoMeter and a couple of others.

Any thoughts out there?

Gary
Ford Excursion Forums > Ford Excursion V8, V10, and Powerstroke > Powerstroke Excursions
Auxillary Gauges
Thread Statistics:     Users to Post: 6   |   Total Posts: 13   |   Total Views: 2072
You must be logged in to post in or subscribe to this thread.Pages: 1 2

About SuperMotors | Contact Us | FAQ/Help | Legal
Copyright © 1998-2024 Web Design Solutions, Inc.
All rights reserved. Duplication & reproduction is strictly prohibited.
SuperMotors.net v5.0.2 ChangeLog